Who are the men who have been accused of sexual misconduct and have had their lives and careers affected? We’re beginning with Harvey Weinstein because that’s when #MeToo began to gain traction and women (and some men) began to realize that they could speak about how they had been harassed, or even raped, without fear that they would be treated the way that Juanita Broaddrick , Paula Jones, and Kathleen Willey were treated.
When Shrek, directed by Andrew Adamson and Vicky Jenson, first came out in 2001, the movie was viewed as a children’s film. Now that it has been 14 years since the movie was first released, there’s been plenty of time to dig deeper into what Shrek truly stands for: a humorous way of looking at romanticism in the Middle Ages. This movie is more of a parody of the genre of Middle Ages’ romance than anything else. Although Shrek is not anywhere close to being a near-perfect hero, which is usually what the stories of the Middle Ages’ genre has, the movie does have an evil enemy (Lord Farquod), a quest (saving Princess and bringing her back to Dulac), and supernatural elements.
Sometimes you want a Miracle on 34th Street – It’s a Wonderful Life – Lifetime Christmas movie that’s full of romance/family togetherness/holiday spirit. Other times (like after an afternoon at the shopping maul), you need a break from it all. Not a complete break, you still want to be able to post #ChristmasMovieTimeWithFriends to all of your social media, what you need is just a little Christmas.
We’ve got a list of Christmas, but not really Christmas, movies in a variety of genres and for a range of audiences.
PG-rated comedy/horror movie released in 1984. In the movie, Billy gets a pet Mogwai from his father. He doesn’t pay enough attention to two of the rules for its care, don’t get it wet and don’t feed it after midnight, and the Mogwai multiplies and then they turn into gremlins who take over the town.
Who should watch Gremlins? Anyone who likes horror movies (that aren’t too horrific even though it does include a brief homage to Texas Chainsaw Massacre).
A 1994 dark comedy where a married couple get taken hostage by a burglar. They still have a better Christmas than Bob. Rated R.
Who should watch The Ref? Anyone with a less than perfect family, especially if they have a mother/mother-in-law who could use a good telling off.
1988 R-rated action thriller where a man takes a vacation from his NYPD job to visit his wife and fight terrorists. (The first part planned, the second not so much…at least you would think so, but with five films in the franchise, you have to wonder. The man’s a magnet for terrorists.)
Who should watch Die Hard? Anyone who wants to reminisce about a time when a cop could carry a gun onto a plane and when terrorists were named “Hans”.
R-rated romantic comedy from 2003 that weaves together multiple love stories that range from first love to mature love, romantic love to lust.
Who should watch Love Actually? Anyone who wants to see what Hans Gruber’s home life is like. (Alan Rickman plays Gruber in Die Hard and a character named Harry who comes close to cheating on his wife in Love Actually.)
2003 PG-13 rated anime about three homeless people who find a baby on Christmas Eve. They set out to find the infant’s parents and through luck, and Christmas miracles, find their way to a happy ending.
Who should watch Tokyo Godfathers? Otaku. You know who you are.
What movies are on your Christmas but not Christmas list?
Some of us like going to the movie theater with its giant screen and surround sound. Some like watching movies on TV with family and friends. Others prefer a little bit more one-on-one movie time with just them and their computer or phone. No matter what watching style suits you best, we can all appreciate a really good bad guy. He usually won’t win in the end, he won’t get the girl, and no little kid is going to say, “I want to grow up to be just like THAT guy!”, but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t get some of the best lines ever written.
Here’s a few of our favorites.
Patrick Bateman, American Psycho – “I have to return some videotapes.”
Hannibal Lector, Silence of the Lambs – “I’m having an old friend for dinner.”
Vito Corleone, The Godfather – “I’m gonna make him an offer he can’t refuse.”
Travis Bickle, Taxi Driver – “You talkin’ to me? You talkin’ to me? You talkin’ to me? Then who the hell else are you talking… you talking to me? Well I’m the only one here. Who the fuck do you think you’re talking to?”
Norman Bates, Psycho – “We all go a little mad sometimes. Haven’t you?”
Auric Goldfinger, Goldfinger – “No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!”
Verbal Kint, The Usual Suspects – “The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn’t exist.”
Tony Montana, Scarface – “Say hello to my little friend!”
Dean Wormer, Animal House – “Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son.”
The Joker, The Dark Knight – “Why so serious?”
Terminator, Terminator – “Ill be back.”
Hans Gruber, Die Hard – “I am going to count to three, there will not be a four”
Hal-9000, 2001: A Space Odyssey – “Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye. ”
Scar, The Lion King - “Long live the King!”
The Wizard of Oz, The Wicked Witch of the West – “Just try and stay out of my way. Just try! I’ll get you, my pretty, and your little dog, too!”
Nurse Ratched, One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest – “You know Billy, what worries me is how your mother is going to take this.”
Barack Obama, Weekly Address August 15, 2009 – “No matter what you’ve heard, if you like your doctor or health care plan, you can keep it.”
- AppleJack. A spunky, friendly and of course honest pony, she takes the place of number 6 on this list. Applejack is hard working and protective of her friends and family, and while inherently good these can lead to trouble when she becomes overly protective, causing thick tension between her and others, or wearing herself out and still promising to do more.
- Pinkie Pie. Always ready to party and make others laugh, Pinkie pie is at number 5 with her optimistic attitude and excited behaviour. It’s awesome having someone who’s almost always smiling, except when her somewhat over dramatic attitude ends with her saying something incredibly upsetting with the same upbeat tone as she does everything else.
- Rarity. A giving, gorgeous and sweet girl, Rarity’s posh attitude makes her come off as snobby- and she is! But in the end, she’s a loving and kind pony who is always ready to give to others, expecting nothing in return but maybe a smile. Rarity is a bit snobbish and over dramatic, but she still takes number 4 for her generous ways and amazing fashion sense.
- Rainbow Dash. She’s fast, witty and loyal, Rainbow takes number 3 as her awesome attitude and amazing athletic abilities make her an amazing friend and occasional hero. Rainbow’s awesome, and while it’s great to have a lot of self confidence, Rainbow can be very egotistical, leading to her doubting her abilities if she’s unable to complete something, or overestimating them and in the end harming or endangering others.
- Fluttershy. Adorable, amazingly adorable Fluttershy is at number 2. She loves animals, all animals, from small to scary she’s almost always ready to lend a hoof in aid of hurt, scared or hungry critters. Fluttershy is kind, completely and totally, except this kindness causes problems for her, she’s a bit of a pushover even to the animals she cares for so dearly, but she knows when to put a hoof down and say ‘enough is enough’.
- Sunset Shimmer. Smart, determined and beautiful Sunset reigns at number 1. She’s funny, she’s cute, and she’s learning all about friendship, similar to the viewers- though hopefully they never turned into a demonic monster and tried to take over the school, and Equestria.Sunset is very sweet and gentle, despite our first impression of her in Equestria Girls, where she wasn’t exactly the nicest, Sunset really is a kind girl who just wanted something deeply, and didn’t know there was any other way to get it. She’s become a close friend to the girls of Canterlot High, and with each new adventure they grow closer and she learns more about the truest and best magic of all: Friendship.